Home » Reflections

Reflections

Area 1

The ability of reading has allowed crucial information to be able to travel through time. It is one of the most essential tools that human has used for thousands of years. Reading is simply described as a “complex cognitive process of decoding symbols to derive meaning.” Undoubtedly, as a student and a reader it is common for development to occur. As a reader, I have been exposed to many different types of writing and perspective. Reading experience is developed at a young age and evolves as readers become wiser and more efficient. Such experience allows self-accountability. In this case, I will be reflecting on the development I have made during my first fall semester in college as a reader. There were many different types of text encountered this semester. This semester, we heavily emphasized in reading comic books. Undoubtedly, it created a sense of challenge at first because I was not used to reading and personally enjoying reading in that context. However, a few of the comic books read such as “Ms. Marvel” and “El Deafo” had a positive impact within my reading abilities. It is common for students to be forced to read certain types of genres such as novels, poems or regular books. On the other hand, reading these comic books enhanced my analyzing skills to a certain extent. The reasoning behind it was, because both comic books were able to make the readers, like myself sympathize and in a way relate and merged into what was going within the story line. Lastly, the importance of discussing these texts within this reflective essay is in order to share how they helped me be more interested in the characterization of the protagonist and the way they battle their adversities instead of simply following through with the plot. My perspective as a reader has greatly been improved.

Area 2

It has been said that “Constructing a sentence is the equivalent of taking a Polaroid snapshot: pressing the button and watching something emerge. To write one is to document and to develop at the same time.” Throughout this semester, I have written many essays and pieces of writing. As a result, it allows me to share what was developed from what I documented. For instance, a sentence that I developed was “Such tragedy had a negative impact on her school work, however she was able to bounce back.” In this sentence from what was documented, I was able to as a writer share with the readers how resilient the character being talked about within that sentence was. Another sentence that I composed this semester was discussing “The overall purpose of the video [commercial] that can be inferred is that the video raises awareness about hearing loss and ways that treatments could be done for “better” outcomes” In this instance, I was able to deduct a possible message that was being shared from a documented commercial. Lastly, another sentence was in a rhetorical analysis essay in which I discussed the purpose behind an article being written. The sentence was “The author wrote this article in order to demonstrate that while there is limitation that can be disabling such as deafness it does not completely stop them from achieving any accolades.” In other words, I targeted the overall message that was being conveyed by language. Writing situations vary but the tone and overall message of any writing I have done changes from essay to essay.

Area 3

As it is widely known, language serves as a tool for humans to share and communicate amongst each other. Within this context, people utilize language to be informative and expressive. Following this premise, it allows for humans to argue and express ideas in which ever manner desired. For instance, in “If Black English Isn’t a Language, Then Tell Me What is?” is discussed that language is “a political instrument, means, and proof of power. It is the most vivid and crucial key to identity: It reveals the private identity, and connects on with, or divorces one from, the larger, public or communal identity” Within the context of this statement it can be deducted that it is extremely powerful. For that reason, following the premise discussed allowed me to look back and reflect on whether the readings and writings of this semester had any impact to unlocking, revealing, connecting or separate me from the greater world. Perhaps, but the writing that I have done this semester has allowed me to experience the importance of reading. As the statement that was acclaimed in that article, language is very powerful. I believe that the readings and writings I have done has allowed me to experience how crucial it can be to a person’s identity. For example, in “Ms. Marvel” indirectly, I saw how the culture can have an impact on a person. Therefore, this semester has allowed me to be able to be more connected and a wider sense of connection to people that may be different from me. Undoubtedly, language is like an instrument. A person is capable of sharing and composing what they desire. This semester has enhanced my connection to the world and once again the relevance and importance of language delivery.